I’ve been doing some work on Firefly lately and tonight I’ve released version 1.3.0. If you’re using Firefly it’s recommended you upgrade to the latest and greatest version. ~ For those who missed it: Firefly is a simple URL shortener gem that can be used to host your own personal (or corporate) URL shortner on your own domain. Since Firefly is rack-based, it’s easy to deploy to Heroku or other ruby hosting providers.
Since version 1.1.0 (released october 2010) these features have been added. I’ll just summarize those and ignore the 1.2.x release I made.
- Make Barby optional to save some gems for those of us who don’t need QR code generation. [mboeh]
- Added a CodeFactory to generate unique short codes (and prevent collisions with custom short codes) [ariejan]
- Support for specifying one’s own preferred short codes via the API. Also, invalid URL creations return a 422 code, not 200. [mboeh]
- Added GUI support for custom short codes. [ariejan]
- Improved error handling / reporting [ariejan]
- Minor tweaks to the web GUI [ariejan]
- Use dm-mysql-adapater as default, dm-sqlite-adapter is optional [ariejan]
How to upgrade
IMPORTANT: Always make a backup of your data before you upgrade.
Simple install the latest gem version and restart your server.
gem install firefly -v1.3.0
Then restart your server. DataMapper will take care of migrating your database for you.
NOTE: Firefly is now using MySQL by default. If you were using
sqlite3 before, please install the appropriate DataMapper adapater:
Code, Issues, Forking
Want to fork? http://github.com/ariejan/firefly
Want to keep reading and learn more? I've got you
covered with a hand picked selection of awesome books.